Saturday, December 21, 2019

Amy Reads - Ep. 2

I'm back for episode 2 of Amy Reads. This time she's... under the weather. I've been like completely sickish all week. I don't know what the what's going on but I'm over it. Even my squats have gone by the wayside, but I hope to be back at it tomorrow. I've got some stuff to do tomorrow so hopefully it'll be good. We drove like an hour and 20 minutes today to go to an old timey theater to see Elf which was lovely. 2nd favorite Christmas movie and all. (Hello White Christmas, I see you girl. We've got our usual date Christmas eve.)

 So I've read some stuff. The other post I mentioned I finished "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton. You know? I liked it. I enjoyed the entire book. Until the end. I have SO MANY QUESTIONS. I feel like the book isn't complete. I hope there's a second but I don't know that there will be. I don't have questions in a good way like after a thought provoking book where you're left with questions like, "could that really happen?" "IS that really happening?" "What would I do in that situation?" Those are good questions to be left with. Questions that aren't good to be left with? Any question that starts with "But what about?" For starters. Any question that starts that way? It's just not good. Like people who left the movie Order of the Phoenix who hadn't read the book first. My husband asked "but what about?" or "but how?" questions all the 25 minute drive home. And while I've ventured to the topic of JK Rowling, I will ALWAYS love Harry Potter. Joann's views one way or the other do not impact my love of Harry Potter in any way. I don't condone her comments. But with always love the characters and world she created and do find it odd that she doesn't seem to have learned the lessons that her characters taught. And I'm going to leave that there. So anyways, I recommend the book for the story. I don't recommend it if you like to understand anything that happened.

I also read the book "The Bookish World of Nina Hill" by Abby Waxman. This book was an absolute delight. Beginning to end. I was liking it but not in love until the main character is lamenting saying something awkward and her inner monologue is along the lines of "what am I going to say next? 'Gum would be perfection'?" And there it was. The book had me. Wrapped it's warm cozy arms around me and I nestled in to what instantly became a phenomenal book. The book was hot tomato soup with grilled cheese, goldfish crackers, cheesecake and hot cocoa while snuggled in a warm plush blanket while it snows big puffy flakes outside while having nowhere to go. Pretty much any book where the main character loves books is going to be aces with me.

 I'm currently reading "The Family Upstairs" by Lisa Jewell. I've not quite figured out what exactly is going on, but the story is being told by 3 different narrators. One who lived in a house, one who was taken from that house and one who knows about it. I, as the reader, know nothing. What I'm certain of is that at some point these 3 tales are going to join up somehow and I'm totally there for it and stoked. More on that once I finish it.

 I mentioned the Spencer Quinn books of Chet and Bernie previously, too, but I'll talk about them in maybe Ep. 3? We'll see. I'm going to go spend some time watching other people play Planet Zoo because I can't build for poo. Actually, and more accurately, I'm not patient enough to build better than poo. Patience is something I definitely need to work on in 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Round & Round & Round I Go

I started my 43rd trip around the sun today.   This post is probably going to be a bunch of blathering and dithering.  I just am so dissatis...