Sunday, December 15, 2019

Amy Reads - Ed. 1

Originally posted December 4, 2019 I have a doozy of a commute. 33 miles one way. Traffic. Stop and go. And millions of houses being built every second which adds 1 to 2 more cars per house, it feels like, every single minute. It gives me lots of time. I listen to podcasts, mostly Monday and Tuesday since most of the ones I listen to come out on Mondays. Potterless, Generation Why, Jenna & Julien, Fangasm (which is ending, sadly) and Horse on the frequent occasion the mood strikes me. It's from the same fella that does Potterless. Which Potterless? I'll probably relisten to the whole podcast at some point. It's a guy who started reading the Harry Potter books at 24 (years old - not mile post - or mini-mart) and then comments on them. It was so fun listening to someone react to reading the books for the first time - as an adult. If I could have one wish, well, I'd wish for fifty million dollars, world peace and health and long life for everyone I love. Yes, that's 3 wishes. But if I could have just ONE MORE after that, it would be to have Harry Potter wiped from my mind so I could read them all again for the first time. CRAP! I forgot my squat challenge. That didn't take long. Hold on. Whew. Back. That was a close one. But those 15 squats are done. Anyway, yeah. I'd love to read those books for the first time again. But I digress. On the days I'm not listening to podcasts during the commute, I listen to books. Until I get really tired on the way home, at which time I switch to Pandora and sing my face off. Speaking of Pandora - presently in my earholes is Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill - because I'd love to go see her and Liz Phair and Garbage this summer however I'm old and need a seat rather than lawn general admission and the cheapest seat ticket is $72. So those ladies can rock it out without me. But it put me in a Jagged Little Pill state of mind. Which the concert tour is the TWENTY-FIFTH anniversary of said album. Let's talk about how old I am for a little while. Speaking of, the flower girl from our wedding who wasn't even two at the time is old enough to drive today. Yeah. So there's that. Anyway! Books. Recently I've read The Institute by Stephen King, which was - I thought - really good. Not gruesome and overly scary like some. And not even like OMG I have to stop reading creepy like 11/22/63. "Jimla" anyone? Egads at that I almost had to put the book down and no, that's not a spoiler. The Institute is creepy in a "Is that happening somewhere?" kind of way. Very good. Then I read The Secret, Book, and Scone Society. It was a fun little read. A little deep here and there but mostly just light and entertaining. The same could be said for the second book in what I found out is a series of this society of women friends, The Whispered Word. These were by Ellery Adams and pretty enjoyable. Today I started The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton today. So far it's interesting? It's caught my attention at any rate. Until two-thirds of the way home when I switched to Pandora and boldy sang to Matchbox 20, Billy Joel, Lisa Loeb, and Suzanne Vega - hello, Tom's Diner. It's been a minute. How are ya? I love books. I'm going through some stuff with my eyes at the beginning of the year and, fingers crossed, I'll actually be able to read the words in books again without have to TRY to read the words in books. That would be completely awesome. Alright. That's enough with the rambling. Me and Alanis are gonna go hang until the husband gets home. "You took me for a joke... you took me for a child... you took a long hard look at my (shrinking) ass and then played golf for awhile......" Note to add: I should probably give the poor bloke's name that I raved about at the beginning in case anyone besides, well, me, ever reads this. Mike Schubert is the creator of Potterless. And Horse. I realized I never said his name. Check him out. He's funny and has great hair. Also? He's not a poor bloke. It was the Brit coming out in me. I'm not British. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round & Round & Round I Go

I started my 43rd trip around the sun today.   This post is probably going to be a bunch of blathering and dithering.  I just am so dissatis...